Monday, April 04, 2016

Holiday Tradition: A Christmas Collection

Hello everyone!  I'm popping in today to share a Holiday Tradition from Pat, one of our Merry Maidens! This time around Pat is sharing something more intimate--a special tradition she shares with her husband.  I'm sure that many of us have special traditions we share with our loved ones.  I hope that you enjoy reading about Pat's special tradition as much as I did!


A Christmas Collection


For our first Christmas together as a married couple, my husband and I were dirt-poor broke. That year we bought each other our first record together (vinyl, kiddies), a Goodyear promotion full of traditional Christmas songs from classic artists (kind of like “Now That’s What I Call Christmas”). We listened to it non-stop throughout Christmas until the New Year started.

So began our first Christmas tradition. Every year since then (and we’ve been married almost 40 years now) we have added to our growing collection of Christmas music. Cassettes replaced vinyl for a short time, and now we have a stack of CD’s to play as well. We have the original Chipmunk’s Christmas album mixed in with the Rod Stewart Christmas CD. My favorite? The Carpenter’s Christmas Album. This year we got A Jolly Christmas with Frank Sinatra. The cassettes? Well, they’re old school, but unlike 8-track tapes, I can still play them on an old but still-functioning tape player.

Who knows what the future will hold? Maybe next year we’ll get an iTunes gift card and pick and choose our fave singles. One thing I know for sure—we will never run out of Christmas music for the holidays!! And it is one tradition we are happy to have started so long ago.

No comments: